5 Ways to Create a Kid-Friendly Home
Hey Friends,
I recently moved from California to Texas from a cozy two bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom prairie style home. This sweet 100 year old home I'm currently living in is a dream come true. I've always had a love for historic architecture. Creaky hard wood floors and original shiplap make my heart soar! It has been so fun putting my own touch all over this sweet home. Part of that has been making it kid- friendly for my 3 and 5 year old. Here are some practical and easy ways I've done that.
1. Don't spend a lot of money on furniture. I'm not saying buy junk but keep in mind that it is highly likely that it will be jumped on, stained, and possibly the most important part of your children's fort making creations.
This chair was 40 dollars on Offer- Up. My couch? A whopping 50 dollars thrifted. Best part of my couch is that the cover is machine washable.
Our beloved ottoman was another Offer-Up find. I got it a few years ago for 40 dollars. I love that we don't have to worry about the boys hitting their heads on the edges of a coffee table. I also love that we can easily roll this piece into another room for more room during playtime or movie nights.
2. Store some toys in the living room. You never know when your children will be inspired to dive into play. Play is seriously one of the most important parts of early childhood. My job as a momma is to cultivate a space that allows them to imagine and create. Everett loves being a chef in his kitchen and making me stone soup! Yum!
I keep this kitchen set in our living room. Everything you see here is second hand. I especially love the wicker baskets. I snagged those at a local Goodwill. (Thrift stores make my basket loving dreams come true.)
I store some of their favorite dinos in this basket. I love that it closes for a clean look.
I found this vintage magazine holder to keep their favorite books all together.
3. Display their art! I lovvvee this one. My 5 year old, Keegan is the sweetest little artist and he lights up every time I frame or hang his work. It's a great reminder for me that this is his home too and I want him to know how proud we are of him and his creations!
Who needs a photographer when Keegan can draw your family portrait?! I told you I'm thrifty.
I love these posters of dinosaur names Keegan put all over his room. That's what painters tape is for right?
4. Display pictures of them. This is something I learned in one of the child development classes I took. Children regularly seeing pictures of themselves is good for their self esteem.
I love this picture of Keegan and Everett together. I keep it in their room as a gentle reminder that "brothers love each other" a motto we say often in our home.
Speaking of things we say in our home...
5. Keep personal things at eye level.
My oldest son has a lot of fears. Something we started practicing at the peak of his anxiety was words of affirmation. I printed our favorite affirmations and keep them next to his bed. He's just beginning to read so looking at the words of something he's already familiar with is good for his literacy development too!
Have a happy Wednesday!
I love this blog - refreshing and good words given! Photos of rooms show natural, comfortable, beauty. Love the natural, clean look in every room!
ReplyDeleteHey Kat,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog. Love seeing pictures of your new home.
Margie (Marilin's buddy)
Hey Sunshine!!! What a beautiful display of your heart and the love and focus you have on your sweet family!!! I LOVE your ideas and the touch of joy that you are shining in your new home!!! Many blessings to you my dear friend!!!!
ReplyDeleteIn the love of Jesus!!!
Lilia